For nine years, FocusOm has been offering serious and respected yoga instruction to students in Chicago, and the near west suburbs of Chicago including Brookfield, IL and Batavia, IL. With this training, we offer students an opportunity to deepen their yoga practice and experience, as well as develop the skills necessary to effectively share this experience with others, spreading the beneﬁts of yoga throughout our community.
Our Yoga Teacher Training has been recognized and certiﬁed by Yoga Alliance, and will offer an intelligent approach to learning. Our experience both as teachers and as students has led us to develop a yoga teacher training that offers a serious and vigorous immersion, with emphasis on the most important skills taught in a way to maximize learning. This training features:
- Affordable tuition with limited additional fees
- Opportunities for discounted class and workshop tuition at FocusOm
- Small class size to emphasize individual support and skill enhancement
- Emphasis given to developing strong yoga teaching skills, from learning to provide clear and concise instruction, building confidence through guided practice and knowledge, and attention given to discussion of issues confronting yoga instructors.
Please read the sections below to learn about everything you need to know about our yoga teacher training!
Scheduled yoga teacher training dates are as follows, and are on Wednesdays from 9:00am to 2:45pm:
- September: 20, 27
- October: 4, 11, 18, 25
- November :1, 8, 15, 22
- December :6, 13, 20
- January: 3, 10, 17, 24, 31
- February: 7, 14, 21, 28
- March: 7, 14
Teacher training retreat dates in Michigan are as follows:
- September 28th through October 1st
- November 9th through 12th
- January 18th through 21st
- February 1st through 4th
The tuition structure for yoga teacher training is as follows:
$2800 paid in full by 8/10
$3050 paid in full by 8/31
$3300 paid in full by 9/24 or with payment plan
Payment Plan: $1650 due by first day of class. There will be 6 subsequent automatic payments through Paypal each month of $275.00.
Retreat lodging and food:
$800 paid in full by beginning of training. Covers food, lodging and training for two retreats.
There are two recommended texts: Hatha Yoga Illustrated by Martin Kirk, Brooke Boon and Daniel DiTuro, and Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff. Students are required to read Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras, as well as the Bhagavad Gita. It is required to have a copy of the Yoga Sutras, any translation. There will be other book recommendations made for deeper studies; other required information will be provided as handouts.
There will be no refund of fees provided after October 24. Any refund of fees provided after registration will be minus a $200 fee to hold registration, and prorated for any classes taken.
The only additional fees to this training will be for required elective classes and workshops. While your electives may vary, one can estimate an additional cost of $300 for books, classes and workshops, if enjoying the FocusOm Seva Training discount.
Yoga teacher training studies will include the following:
- In depth study of over 60 asanas
- Special conditions and modifications for covered asanas
- Study of pranayama theory and basic techniques
- Study of anatomy as it relates to yoga practice
- Study of subtle anatomy (prana, nadis, vayus, chakras)
- Study and practice of meditation techniques
- Introduction to the history of yoga
- Discussion of Yoga Sutras of Patanjali with emphasis on the 8 limbs of Astanga Yoga
- Discussion of Bhagavad Gita
- Introduction to Ayurveda (including doshas, gunas, diet, lifestyle)
- Restorative poses
- Theory of vinyasa practice, including study of Surya Namaskar
- Student led teaching, Developing class plans, Intelligent sequencing, Communication skills
- Use of props and adjustments
- General guidelines for instructing prenatal students and seniors
- Teaching multi-levels and special concerns for each level
- Business of yoga
- Demonstrations and discussions of different styles of yoga
Below are the requirements for getting your yoga teacher certification through FocusOm:
- Completed application
- Attendance of training sessions and two retreats in Michigan
- Homework and readings to reinforce principles taught in class
- Below requirements can be completed up to 6/30/18:
- Two 6 week apprenticeships with approved instructors
- Attendance at 4 approved elective workshops
- Attendance at 16 group yoga classes during the course of the training
- One paper written on an approved subject to be presented at the last class
- Two hours of Seva (service) to your FocusOm community per month (in order to receive a 25% discount on workshops and classes attended at FocusOm