- Affordable tuition with limited additional fees
- Opportunities for discounted class and workshop tuition at FocusOm
- Small class size to emphasize individual support and skill enhancement
Emphasis given to developing strong yoga teaching skills, from learning to provide clear and concise instruction, building confidence through guided practice and knowledge, and attention given to discussion of issues confronting yoga instructors.
Scheduled yoga teacher training dates are as follows:
During June, July and August, students will be attending apprenticeships and workshops to complete their requirements for certification.
The tuition structure for yoga teacher training is as follows:
There are two recommended texts: Hatha Yoga Illustrated by Martin Kirk, Brooke Boon and Daniel DiTuro, and Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff. Students are required to read Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras, as well as the Bhagavad Gita. It is required to have a copy of the Yoga Sutras, any translation. There will be other book recommendations made for deeper studies; other required information will be provided as handouts.
There will be no refund of fees provided after March 31st. Any refund of fees provided after registration will be minus a $200 fee to hold registration, and prorated for any classes taken.
The only additional fees to this training will be for required elective classes and workshops. While your electives may vary, one can estimate an additional cost of $300 for books, classes and workshops.
Yoga teacher training studies will include the following:
- In depth study of over 60 asanas
- Special conditions and modifications for covered asanas
- Study of pranayama theory and basic techniques
- Study of anatomy as it relates to yoga practice
- Study of subtle anatomy (prana, nadis, vayus, chakras)
- Study and practice of meditation techniques
- Introduction to the history of yoga
- Discussion of Yoga Sutras of Patanjali with emphasis on the 8 limbs of Astanga Yoga
- Discussion of Bhagavad Gita
- Introduction to Ayurveda (including doshas, gunas, diet, lifestyle)
- Restorative poses
- Theory of vinyasa practice, including study of Surya Namaskar
- Student led teaching, Developing class plans, Intelligent sequencing, Communication skills
- Use of props and adjustments
- General guidelines for instructing prenatal students and seniors
- Teaching multi-levels and special concerns for each level
- Business of yoga
- Demonstrations and discussions of different styles of yoga
Below are the requirements for getting your yoga teacher certification through FocusOm:
- Completed application
- Homework and readings to reinforce principles taught in class
- Below requirements can be completed up to 12/31/18:
- Two 6 week apprenticeships with approved instructors
- Attendance at 4 approved elective workshops
- Attendance at 16 group yoga classes during the course of the training
- One paper written on an approved subject to be presented at the last class