For the past three years, FocusOm of Brookfield has offered classes and workshops in a variety of disciplines in an effort to provide our students with techniques for living vibrantly in today’s turbulent world. This year, we are happy to offer Yoga Passport, a program that will provide the opportunity to deepen one’s knowledge in the yogic tradition as well as the option to become certified in yoga instruction.
Scheduled Immersion/Teacher Training dates are as follows:
The tuition structure for yoga teacher training is as follows:
There are two recommended texts: Hatha Yoga Illustrated by Martin Kirk, Brooke Boon and Daniel DiTuro, and Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff. Students are required to read Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras, as well as the Bhagavad Gita. It is required to have a copy of the Yoga Sutras, any translation. There will be other book recommendations made for deeper studies; other required information will be provided as handouts.
There will be no refund of fees provided after January 20th. Any refund of fees provided after registration will be minus a $200 fee to hold registration, and prorated for any classes taken.
The only additional fees to this training will be for required elective classes and workshops. While your electives may vary, one can estimate an additional cost of $300 for books, classes and workshops.
Yoga teacher training/immersion studies will include the following:
- In depth study of over 60 asanas
- Special conditions and modifications for covered asanas
- Study of pranayama theory and basic techniques
- Study of anatomy as it relates to yoga practice
- Study of subtle anatomy (prana, nadis, vayus, chakras)
- Study and practice of meditation techniques
- Introduction to the history of yoga
- Discussion of Yoga Sutras of Patanjali with emphasis on the 8 limbs of Astanga Yoga
- Discussion of Bhagavad Gita
- Introduction to Ayurveda (including doshas, gunas, diet, lifestyle)
- Restorative poses
- Theory of vinyasa practice, including study of Surya Namaskar
- Student led teaching, Developing class plans, Intelligent sequencing, Communication skills
- Use of props and adjustments
- General guidelines for instructing prenatal students and seniors
- Teaching multi-levels and special concerns for each level
- Business of yoga
Mandalas and art
Below are the requirements for getting your yoga teacher certification through FocusOm:
- Completed application
- Homework and readings to reinforce principles taught in class
- Below requirements can be completed up to 12/31/19:
- Two 5 week apprenticeships with approved instructors
- Attendance at 4 approved elective workshops
- Attendance at 16 group yoga classes during the course of the training
- One paper written on an approved subject to be presented at the last class